Send Pests Packing While You're Away
Stark Exterminators Provides Homeowners with a Pest Prevention Checklist for Summer Vacations
Summer vacation season is heating up and while many homeowners take precautions to ensure their homes are properly lit, locked and protected from burglars when they head out of town, they probably don’t think about the intruders that can make their way in on four, six or eight legs. These squatters can cause significant damage and Stark has put together a pre-vacation checklist for homeowners to protect their families and homes.
- Remove or drain sources of standing water in the yard that could be a breeding ground for mosquitoes, which grow from larvae to adult in as little as 7 days. This includes birdbaths, kiddie pools and saucers of flowerpots. Additionally, clean out rain gutters to prevent water from collecting there as well.
- Cut tree branches and other plants away from the home to keep insects, especially ants, from using them as a means of transportation inside.
- Give the exterior of the home a once-over ensuring screens are in good repair and that all cracks and crevices as well as doors and windows are well sealed.
- Discard all garbage prior to leaving for vacation and if you must leave behind any last minute trash, make sure it is placed in well-sealed garbage cans. Houseflies are notorious invaders and will travel up to 20 miles in search of food.
- Seal any leftovers and sweets in airtight containers to prevent ant infestations and if you are packing snacks for the car or plane, use airtight containers or bags to ensure ants don’t travel with you on vacation.
- Seal your clothing in large plastic bags within your suitcase and keep them sealed during your hotel stay to prevent beg bugs from hitching a ride in them. When you return home, inspect and vacuum suitcases before bringing them inside and wash all clothing in hot water.
“With all the excitement and preparation of vacation on the mind, homeowners may forget to protect their property from pests before they head out of town,” said Charlie Jones, Stark Pest Expert. “However, by taking some simple prevention steps homeowners can safeguard their property and be confident that they will not return home to or with any unwanted visitors.”